The Ruins of Fastormel, Early Summer 795
Wherein the companions meet an old friend, discover ancient secrets and become embroiled in a brewing civil war.
- Atton, Crassius and Valeros rescue a hapless travel being attacked by Iron Circle mercenaries.
- The traveler turns out to be Jelcor(!) who has traveled to Fastormel following rumors of the trio traveling there. He was, unfortunately, waylaid as he slept.
- The group swiftly exchanges tales and Jelcor agrees to aid in the recovery of the Forge Key. Using divination magic, Crassius discovers the key does not lay with in the city walls but in a cave somewhere along the lake.
- Making their way out of town, the group witnesses a group ambushing a patrol of Iron Circle mercenaries. Being who they are, they help out, and then flee before reprisals come.
- Crassius is able to lead them the cave of Gwaeryth, an ancient nature spirit. In communing with her, they discover she is responsible for the sinking of Fastormel (at the behest of the Vigil, who hid some great treasure within the city). This treasure, however, was not the Forge Key. She knew this because the Key formed her payment to drown the city – and she still possessed it.
- In bartering for it, they quickly realize that she will not easily part with it. However, in bargaining with Crassius, she names him a Child of the White Wizard (Lorgalis) and agrees to loan him the Key as part of an ancient pact. Leaving a treasure of gems as a token, the group departs.
- The journey to Fallcrest is straight forward and they arrive in good time.
- Upon arriving, they discover that Faren Marklehay, Warden of Fallcrest has been assassinated. As Atton looks to the protection of his friends, Crassius and Jelcor seek news of recent events. They discover the deed was accomplished by the Gravelstoke clan, a notorious group of assassins and that the council is divided on who should take up the Marshal’s position following his death. A four-way struggle is brewing between House Kaal (led by the scheming Lady Verrasa), House Jerdaath (led by the former steward Lord Kerdan), the Iron Circle mercenaries (led by Captain Redthorn) and a group of local heavies (led by Melech Ambrose – a group culled of many of their members during the events of The Lamp of the Creator).
- With some subterfuge, Jelcor discovers that agents of House Kaal were on the lookout for the return of the companions and, following one such agent back to his camp, overhears a plan to intercept them.
- Atton also discovers Declan has returned from Riverhaven and was helping Perda and Khesse move their premises to that village until the struggle passed.
- The group restocks and spends some ill-gotten loot from Fastormel. They decide to pay a visit or Lord Kerdan (their favored horse in the race). There they discover that Lord Kerdan does not believe his faction can win. They offer him sanctuary in Riverhaven until the situation sorts itself out and pledge to help him.
- Journeying southwards, the group is reunited with many friends in Riverhaven including Grau (now Captain of the Guard of Riverhaven), Thaeven Arroway and many survivors from both Kassen and Belward. After spending a day within the keep, they set out again, now headed west to circle the Cloakwood to the south (and hopefully avoid any encounters with the factions from Fallcrest), then head northwest, hoping to catch the old Nerathi road northward.
- A weeks journey carries them through the deserted lands of the western Vale to the Iron Horse, a way inn near the Nerathi ruins of Nurisel. There they restock again and gain the attention of Kiter Ravenbow, a veteran scout and guide. Through fellowship, they befriend the old man, who agrees to help them find a guide to take them to the Valley of the Twins – the legendary entrance to the Forge of the Creator.
Party: Atton, Crassius, Jelcor
Quote of the Night: n/a
Achievements: Way Inns of the Nentir Vale (2/5) (The Iron Horse